Monday, October 14, 2019

Book Review: That's What Frenemies Are For by Sophie Littlefield and Lauren Gershell

I have heard a lot about this new release, but I wasn't sure about it. I love women's literature, but not what I would call "chick lit," and I wasn't sure if this book would roam into that territory.

But, I love Littlefield's novels and I am delighted that she partnered with a new novelist, and I gave in. I'm glad I did.

That's What Frenemies Are For tells the story of Julia, a New York socialite, who takes on Tatum, a young spin instructor hungry for Julia's social life, as a social experiment project. Julia helps Tatum rebrand herself with the express intention of using Tatum to regain some social traction she feels she is losing out on by being stranded in the city over the summer due to water damage to their Hampton's vacation home. What follows is Julia's social destruction and rebirth as Tatum doesn't "stick to the script" Julia has dreamed up.

I was not sure I was going to stick with this book: Julia initially struck me as a bitter, self-important, social-climber that I didn't identify with at all, nor did I respect her. However, I'm so glad I did stick with the book because Julia's awakening and rebirth on the heels of Tatum's antics redeemed her in my estimation. Julia rediscovers what is really important--her marriage, her children, her family, friends who are true and real--and she ultimately makes choices that I can respect in dealing with her false friends and husband. And in all of this, I think, lies the power of the book.

So many people today--of all ages and social spheres--are caught up in their image, which Frenemies explores fairly well, to the point it interferes with their real lives and their perception of reality. Julia, through Tatum, relearns what is vital to her happiness, and these are all the things she had not been investing her time in. Julia's growth trajectory is remarkable, and I admire the myriad trials Littlefield and Gershell put her through so that her growth becomes a rebirth, a rediscovery of her deepest, truest self, which she had lost in her own misguided pursuit of the New York City social scene.

I really ended up enjoying a book I wasn't sure I was going to like, and that in itself is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment