Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Book Review: Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater

 

Book Review: Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater

I really loved the animated film Brave and when I heard on social media Maggie Stiefvater was given the opportunity to write the sequel to Merida's story, I was elated. And then I felt truly blessed when I was able to secure an ARC from NetGalley. 

My enthusiasm was well-met with Bravely, a story about growth and change, something people always seem to have a problem accepting or realizing the necessity of. 

Steeped in Celtic mythology, beautifully and poignantly written, Stiefvater fills out the dimensions of all characters within Merida's world, creating empathy and understanding where animosity would threaten to take over. The magical elements of the story make sense in the way that the mysterious does, and the ending steers clear of cliche and is entirely, complexly, and unexpectedly satisfying. 

I have already spread the word about this new story to my students, who I think will love it as much as I do, and plan on using it as a book club feature book perhaps as early as next semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment